Knowledge transfer is essential, in order to train future scientists, but also to inform citizens about research progress. Many members of the Epigenetics and Cell Fate unit are involved in teaching and in the popularization of science.
Lecturers in the unit – 2 professors and 8 assistant professors – do most of the teaching but PhD students and researchers are also much involved in this transmission.
Senior member of the Institut Universitaire de France since June 2016
(‘Plasticity of cellular phenotypes’ group)
Junior member of the Institut Universitaire de France since June 2015
PhD students with a teaching duty:
(‘Plasticity of cellular phenotypes’ group)
Léo CARRILLO ( ncRNA, Differenciation and Development)
A MULTI-FACETED TEACHING
PhD students in the unit mostly teach first and second year University students, in Cell Biology and Molecular Biology.
Professors and assistant professors in the unit teach in diverse fields ranging from Cell Biology, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics to Methodology courses. They teach from 1st year bachelor level to Master 2, in all the University programs.
Researchers in the unit mostly teach in Master’s and PhD modules, in the fields of Epigenetics, RNAs, Stem cells, Biotechnologies, and Brain development but also on Bioethics and law.
Teaching on Paris University campus:
- Life science Bachelor degree, in the different programs of the Life Science department: Biologie Cellulaire et Physiologie (BCP), Biologie, Biomolécules et Bioinformatique (Bio), European Master of Genetics (MEG), Vie et Terre (VT).
- Practical Bachelor degree (Licence Pro): Microbiologie Industrielle et Biotechnologies (MIB)
- Master’s degree: Biochimie, Cellules, Cibles Thérapeutiques (BC2T), Biologie Cellulaire Physiologie Pathologies (BCPP), Biologie-Informatique/Bioinformatique (BiB), In Silico Drug Design (ISDD), Infectiologie, Microbiologie, Virologie, Immunologie (IMVI), Métiers de l’Enseignement, de l’Education et de la Formation (MEEF), European Master of Genetics (MEG).
Teaching outside the campus: In other universities (Pierre & Marie Curie University, Montpellier University, Lorraine University), in Grandes Ecoles (Ecoles normales supérieures of Paris and Cachan, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Ecole Nationale de la Magistrature), at the Museum National d’Histoire Naturelle, at Pasteur Institute courses or in schools preparing for a technical degree (Ecole Supérieure des Techniques de Biologie Appliquée).
POPULARIZATION OF SCIENCE
Popularization of science is an essential part of citizenship education. Members of the unit are highly concerned and many of them participate in various events to share their passion for science, their research and their knowledge.
- Conferences during the université ouverte (see courses and conferences schedule) (Mezger and Weitzman group members)
- In Rouen, during the program “Agite tes neurones” (2016/04/21): Conference on epigenetics “Épigénétique, la fin du tout-ADN?” by Valérie Mezger
- At Pasteur Institute in Paris (2015/12/15), with patients non-governmental organizations (NGO): Conference on Alcohol and Epigenetics by Valérie Mezger and workshops with former alcoholics NGO and SAF France.
- Conference on Epigenetics for Air France staff by Sabrine Hedouin (Feb-March 2015, Francastel group)
- On television
ARTE (2015/10/30) : Les nouveaux secrets de notre hérédité (Weitzman group)
- On the radio
France inter (2014/10/1): La tête au carré (Mezger team)
Radio-France Internationale (2015/12/3) : Autour de la question (Mezger group)
- On the web
Web documentary on Epigenetics: Du jeu dans les gènes: comment l’homme se répare (Rougeulle group)
- Article in Le Monde, national newspaper (2015/03/31): Quand l’enfant trinque in utero (Mezger group)
- Article in Sud-Ouest, regional newspaper (2014/09/17): Alcool et grossesse, on en sait plus sur ce dangereux mélange (Mezger group).
- Article in 20 minutes (2016/12/5): La mémoire génétique, science ou science-fiction? (Rougeulle group)
- Reports from national research organizations:
– CNRS report: En direct des labos and Quand le fœtus trinque (Mezger group)
– Inserm report: Alcoolisation fœtale : les troubles seraient sous-estimés (Mezger group)
First lab experience
In the frame of the program “Les apprentis chercheurs”, several research groups in the unit host young students in their lab every Wednesday during the school year. These students from secondary and high schools are mentored by PhD students, post-docs and engineers in the unit.